Here is an example of the Shelf Test question, complete with product names and product images. With this example, we will explore product display settings and customizing the shelf in Auto-flow mode or in Planogram mode.
Note: While these controls add parameters to your shelves, you still must add products to your shelves using Shelf Logic if you would like to control the volume and arrangement of products on your shelves.
1. Shelf Settings
Below the last product listed, make selections from several drop-down menus to customize the shelf view of your products.
- Click the first dropdown menu to select the type of store your shelf test will appear in.
- Click the second drop-down menu to select what type of shelves your product will display on.
Note: Not all shelf types are available at every store. Learn more about club stores here. Hanging shelves can only be selected for certain stores through Planogram mode.
- Click the number to the right of the Shelf Type menu to adjust the number of shelves in your display, up to 8 shelves for the Regular shelf type.
- Click the next drop-down menu to select whether products appear to be in Full stock, Typical stock, Low stock, or No Perspective.
Note: No Perspective shows one row of products, and additional products behind the first row will not be visible until a respondent picks up a product and places it in their cart.
- Check the box to the left of Show Cart to determine the visibility of the cart for the respondents. The running total of selected items will be visible to the respondents when this is checked, and respondents can add, remove, and modify products in their cart.
- Check the box next to Full Screen to display a shelf setup of up to double the standard width. When respondents get to this question, the shelf will expand to fit their entire screen, and they will be able to scroll left and right to view the entire width of the shelf.
Note: Full screen is recommended when you have a shelf that exceeds 13'4" in width, in order to optimize the screen for both mobile and desktop respondents.
- Check the N/A box to allow respondents to advance without selecting any products.
- Check the box next to Zoom to present a zoom control to non-mobile users.
- Check the box next to Show Product Names to present the product name underneath the items on your shelf when respondents click on an item to view.
2. Setting Max parameters
Below the line of shelf settings you can set various maximum limits; be sure to include those limitations in your question text so respondents can adjust their amounts accordingly.
- Check the box next to Max spend and enter a total monetary value that each respondent’s cart may not exceed.
- Check the box next to Max #/cart and enter a maximum total number of products each respondent may add to their cart.
- Check the box next to Max #/product and enter a maximum number of each product that can be added to a respondent’s cart.
3. Planogram mode: editing shelf sections
While Auto-flow mode allows users to use default store and shelf settings, Planogram mode allows users to customize shelf sections and dimensions, and utilize hanging shelves or the stacking feature for some or all products.
- Click the Auto-flow mode drop-down (above your list of products) and select Planogram mode.
- Type an optional Shelf section name into the text field.
Note: This text is for organizational purposes only–it only appears to the user in the Editor, and will not show on the Stats page, or to the respondent.
- Edit the Section width if desired (feet and inches).
- Type an optional Shelf description, and click the Type drop-down menu to select whether each shelf appears as a Sitting shelf or a Hanging shelf.
Note: Hanging is not available for Club or Home improvement stores.
- Click the Stacking drop-down menu to determine whether stacking is set to ON or OFF. When ON is selected, the system stacks as many units on top of each other as will fit within the shelf height using the product height parameters you specified in the product card.
- Type a number in inches in the Height column to set a custom shelf height for each shelf.
- Click the + Add shelf button to add additional shelves (up to 8 shelves total).
4. Planogram mode: adding sections
Adding sections allows you the flexibility to program different shelf heights and widths for stores with Regular Shelves, designate a different number of shelves per section, display hanging products, and use different stacking schema.
- Click the + Add section button to add additional shelf sections (up to 8 total).
- Click Collapse shelf sections to see a condensed view of the sections.
- Click on a shelf section to toggle the collapsed view to edit a different section. The section you’re editing will be highlighted in teal.
Note: when programming shelf logic in Planogram mode, shelves populate top to bottom, and then left to right - ex: In the example below, Section 1 contains shelves 1, 2, 3, and 4; Section 2 contains shelves 5, 6, and 7.